General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Boy do I got a good One for yo....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 11:55 AM
Angry Boy do I got a good One for yo....

Ok so. I am not looking for someone to trash the car or whatever, listen its a POS. that being said the interior and engine are OK. SO! I got this 2004 Saturn ion 2.2L but it has an engine and wiring harness out of a VUE. All connections are to stock ion stuff though. When I had to put in a new radio as it was not there None of the adapters quite worked. So I used weather locking clamps to hardwire. It never got very hot and it worked until 3 days later.... I was pulling into the driveway shut off the car and when i turn it back on in like 30 min the radio just wont turn on! so I get out my tools and check everything; GROUND, HOT, ACCESORIE, SPEAKERS, AND ANTENNEA alllll were as they should be. ALLL fuses are fine AND I just replaced the relay that can go out on them sometimes. The radio is fine. nothing burnt and the fuse on the radio is in tip top shape so... WTF HAPPENED!?!? like seriously i checked all power feed except outflow to speakers (i will later today). no sound nor lights when turned on for the radio. is this a common mishap or??? no water no moisture particles nothing should or was in there. HELP PLEASE! I have no clue what to do?!?!?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:41 PM

I'm so confused by this.

Is it a stock or aftermarket radio?

assuming aftermarket. But just want to make sure.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

It's aftermarket as he tried to do it the right way with an adapter but no go (unclear why). Was it an adapter for a Vue or an Ion? Should have been for a Vue. Depending on year of wiring harness from vue vs 2004 Ion, radio wiring could be different which COULDexplain why adapters didn't work if you were trying Ion adapters. You need to tell us.

Clamps/butt splices=no. Solder+ Shrinkwrap = yes.

It never got very hot? It shouldn't get hot in the first place. Warning sign.

"The radio just won't turn on........(later)...The radio is fine. ???????

No lights or sound....did you pull the fuses from the sockets and test them out of the circuit?
And you have correct voltages at the unit?
Are the pins/wires properly isolated from each other where they attach to the unit?

Is this a cheap chinese no name radio?
a quick 24V zap from 2 12V touching would probably take out the input power stage.
Entire thing imay be toasted
You get what you pay for. (disregard if not a cheap chinese no name radio).

What is the voltage across your battery w the car idling and with you holding it at 2000 rpm? Might be voltage regulation issue but code usually thrown for this. Any alternator / charging system issues?

Last edited by derf; 09-17-2021 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:11 AM

Issue found. Bent adapter to radio. Caused spark blew fuse and made connection dirty. Replacement of contact pieces fixed issue. Still should have blown the fuse in the radio tho right?

Old 09-21-2021, 05:18 PM

I would have thought it would have blown the fuse for the radio in the fuse box by the console. But then, WTF do I know?
ANYWAY, I'm happy to hear you figured it out.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Said you didn't use an adapter ????

Old 03-03-2022, 10:51 PM

Just got rid of her (timeing belt left the chat month later thank god it wasnt my issue) but no I did not use an adapter. It was redneck rigged and hardwired tf in there. Worked fine never got warm and never had an issue after I said I fixed it.