General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Engine mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2023 | 03:04 PM
|

It's green I guess. Last time I called it forest green. The wife was quick to correct me with. You mean Forrest Gump green?
Ya, there's a little animosity there. Being totally fine with such a cheap ride can do that sometimes.

Next on the list is this Saturn's hyperactive windshield wipers. The motor will come on without being switched on but it always comes on when needed so my "on the cheap" solution is to connect a switch across that fuse for now.
I've been eyeing up the use of the never used rear windshield defroster switch above the radio for this. But for now I just have that fuse ID so I know which one to pull if it comes on and doesn't go back off. Usually it only runs one or two strokes. I did more than 100 miles on it yesterday and it didn't happen once.

Old 08-19-2023 | 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Just finished replacing my windshield wiper motor. When it starts doing strange things like that, it is indicative of the circuit board attached directly to the motor has failed. I believe the different switch positions on the column correspond to different voltage levels fed to the motor to control the speed. there may also be some digital logic controlling it.

Since the motor gets its voltage from the output of the board, I'm not quite sure how you would accomplish a direct wiring other than cutting off the circuit board literally. Again there may be more to it than that.

It is a pain in the ***. If you replace it, be sure to watch the video by Richpin on YouTube

Old 08-19-2023 | 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

What brand of engine mount did you use? I have personally found all of the aftermarket mounts are crappier than any used oem mount

Old 08-19-2023 | 09:13 PM
|

Not sure what brand mount? I'm sure they're typical aftermarket crap. They were the mid price range offered on Rockauto. Thanks for easing my conscience though. I bought all the mounts when I ordered the crankshaft position sensor and the rest of the parts and was feeling lazy about not changing the other mounts. Since their most likely crap anyway. I don't see much point in swapping out the harder to get to ones till it's song stops sounding so sweet. In fact when it does i'll most likely change the same one again. After a good look at it of course.
With the wiper motor, mine has always worked when power is switched on so for now. I'm thinking I'm only going to supply power to it through the fuse box when I need to use it.

Old 02-18-2024 | 01:52 PM
|

Originally Posted by earlofcrankcase
Not sure what brand mount? I'm sure they're typical aftermarket crap. They were the mid price range offered on Rockauto. Thanks for easing my conscience though. I bought all the mounts when I ordered the crankshaft position sensor and the rest of the parts and was feeling lazy about not changing the other mounts. Since their most likely crap anyway. I don't see much point in swapping out the harder to get to ones till it's song stops sounding so sweet. In fact when it does i'll most likely change the same one again. After a good look at it of course.
With the wiper motor, mine has always worked when power is switched on so for now. I'm thinking I'm only going to supply power to it through the fuse box when I need to use it.
Thanks for the help over the years guys!
Just stopped in to brag about my 1998 sedan again. It's 25 now and Texas helped us celebrate!
The county tax office line has never been good but this time the old boy came out of there registered as an antique!
Total registration was $2.00 less than the annual registration and it's good till the end of January. In 2029!!!.
It's one rear metal license plate to put the registration sticker on instead of the windshield should be here any day now.