Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Ceramic Brake Pads and Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Thumbs up Ceramic Brake Pads and Shoes

These are the new high tech replacement for Semi-Metallics. Semi-Metallics have been around for quite a while and represented and better mousetrap as compared to Factory Installed Organic pads and shoes which I think are still being installed. The are more expensive. I have been happy with Semi-Metallics, they stop well and have good life.
But
They leave the front wheels coated with dark colored brake dust and it is really messy when running aluminum wheels.
Ceramics are expensive again
and
are hard on Rotors. I am not used to that. So if you habitually do not regrind your rotors when doing a brake job and I don't, it is now a required expense.
The benefits, the brakes can last a minimum as twice as long. They stop better. A benefit when you have a big heavy car. As my Chrysler Town and Country is.
The do NOT load the wheels up with brake dust. I like that, the weekly cleaning is a minimum. I will though have to regrind the front rotors on my Van though, if there is enough rotor left to grind. This is about $15.00 to do vs. about a C-note for a new rotor.
The also do not squeal squeak and chatter as the Semi-Metallics do.
I like the ceramic brake parts. Not crazy about having to re-grind the rotors, but I can deal with that o.k., because they really do work better and are cleaner to maintain.