Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Generic, universal battery cable bolt on fix it thingies.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Angry Generic, universal battery cable bolt on fix it thingies.

There has been a thread or two on these things. If you been around for awhile, u have used them
and eventually regretted it, and
used them again
and regretted it again,
Gotcha. one more time.
I'm putting another alternator in a Ford Focus. If you have not ever done that, think of a root canal or a migrane headache as pleasurable alternative.
This is the second, one was enough. This is a low mileage car, it should not have burned out the first, it sure as heck should not burned out the second, if it did not have one of those stupid battery cable terminal thingies that have not been worth buying for over 70 years, but can still be bought and are, which as the wires loosen up, and they will, cause problems and they do, this time causing feedback to the danged alternator and burning out the diodes.
A factoid found with a little bit if searching.
I would personally like to boil in oil, whomsoever it was that installed this damned thing. So along with buying and alternator, I will also buy the appropriate battery cable that I am sure will cost a ton
and
be a real pain in the butt routing it through the engine compartment.
DANG

Old 07-10-2010, 11:48 PM

Of course, one might justify the use of one of these litttle pieces of junk, as I certainly have done in the past because of;
1. creative design by some one fishing said battery cable threw the wiring harness spread out over the engine bay making it extremely difficult to replace what is---a high maintainence item
2. The $102.00 cost of the same high maintainence item, obtainable only from the dealership making it difficult for some one on a budget having just paid to have their dead car trucked to their driveway.
3. Not realising that the failure of having these stupid things tight, which is not un-common after a period of time, kissing off their $170.00 alternator.
Of course this is not a Saturn item, they have their own problems to deal with except if the battery cable ends go out, you have problems defined in these threads, leaving one to guess that replacing the end of the battery cable with a cheap repair part. 'Specially since the almost defunct but rapidly being replaced dealer network to other GM car dealerships is now actively listing OUT OF STOCK as one of the largest part catagories.
RANT! SNORT! CURSE!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

I second your rant - especially when referring to parts that are not normally retained by the "after-market" parts teardown houses. Don't get me wrong, U-PULL-IT shops have their place in society, it's just that they work on a turn-around basis, and aren't as "careful" as you or I when it comes to obtaining parts from a salvaged Saturn

Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM

This is a Saturn forum, this catagory is an open one. Thus allowing a bit of diversity. Any one wanting to perserve a Saturn of any model is going to have to be a bit better than an occaisional repair man, be able to improvise, modify or really chase down parts that are no longer out there and fix things that are not usually broken due to neglect, ignorance or abuse. Also work on other cars. Plastic parts might have been a sale item on the show room. In the garage they are a pain in the butt.
Early Saturns had plenty, sorry not impressed. So do others, equally unimpressive. This damned Focus has it's share, and a battery cable that wonders around the engine compartment in such a manner that it is gonna require me to pull the dang starter just to see how to replace the dang thing. Rant, curse and swear.
It is a nice car to own, it runs and drive well. It is something o.k. to have in the garage, I am fixing it for a friend. I'm getting older, I bleed easier, my patience level is shorter. The last car I owned that was this miserable to work on was a 1987 Lincoln Continental. It cured me of a second one. Fords "Better Idea" which was thier advertising campaign back then wasn't. They have not gotten any smarter. At the Ford dealers cost of repairs on this it is no wonder that people bought Kia's. It was cheaper to buy one than to pay to get there dang Ford fixed.
Untill accountants get out of the drivers seat, it is my opinion that American automobile companies are in for a long slow down hill ride to destruction.
One should read the advertising campaign for the Jordon Playboy, The Road to Laramie, and compare it to the hype for On Star and Crash Test Dummies.
There is a lesson there, if any one want to study for a final exam.
And it is comming.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:47 PM

After 6 hours of stress, removed the defective $102.00 dealer only available battery cable.
Found out why it
1 causes problems
2 costs $102.00
3. Why stupid lead ends are installed.
Evaluated spending $102.00 vs rebuiliding the cable. Rebult it.
4. After 3 hours, re-installed it. Easier now that all of the cable harnes is broken out to gain access to the battery cable.
5. Sent a nasty gram to Ford. Made me feel better, they will probably ignore it.
Appropriate comments not appropropriate for family forum.
Another classic example of Accountants running companies that they have no clue how to run!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 AM

Aw!
Finally got the alternator working. The first one was defective. The battery cable works well and the car runs o.k.. Ford actually replied and asked for further information. I sent it. My arms are a mess, cut up and scraped. They are beginng to heal and I washed blood off of the car.
I can not remember being this frustrated with an in-animate object.
On the other hand had to go cross town to a meeting about 30 miles. Left the Chrysler in the driveway and took the Saturn, my 16 year old re-cycled Saturn. It was refreshing to discover the car has not lost any of its original appeal. Just some of the original luster. The seat leaned back for comfort, the sun roof open letting in the night air. The a/c knocking the edge off the heat. The local country music station playing old favorites while the car whispers down the highway on cruise at 75mph effortless. I'm glad I spent the money and time to refresh the cosmetics and fix the owies that had developed. It's almost like new again.
I know some time i'm going to have to replace it and don't know what with yet although that new Cadddy coupe sure looks like a candidate. Maybe by then the new ones will be a few years old and I can pick up one low mileage with the edge off of the original price.