Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

What I assume is a lien...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2024, 05:09 AM
Default What I assume is a lien...

A friend of mine recently bought a clapped out mustang for 9000, it has some tacky aftermarket accessories, the PCM may be going out, and I have been told that the brakes fail intermittently (ABS, maybe?).

She tried to register it, only to be told that the previous owner "owed money on it, and was not legally supposed to sell it". Sounds like a lien. She tried to contact this guy about returning it, only to be blocked. At a quick glance, I could not see any mention of a lien on the title she had, which I would not be surprised if it was fake. I will try to get a closer look at it the next chance I get. I will also ask about the exact circumstances when she bought this car, anything else I should ask?

Old 09-18-2024, 08:05 AM

Where the nearest police station is and if she has a lawyer. She'll need to have the police to arrest the seller and a lawyer to get her money back.

Old 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

The DMV already seems to know that the vehicle is not in his name and even though it may have been registered to him, there was still a lien on it. If they know there is a lien, they probably also know who holds the lien. I would try to gather this information at the same time you contact the police.

If it is not his to sell, I don't know if that qualifies as selling stolen property or if it qualifies as something else but clearly it is not legal.

Just realize that as soon as you contact the police and the person who holds the lien is informed of the situation, they will immediately come and repo the vehicle regardless of the fact that $9,000 is missing from your wallet. You have no legal right to possess the vehicle. I assume it is way too late to stop payment on a check.

Alternatively, I suppose you could take the vehicle back to the place where you met the person to pick it up and just leave it there locked without the keys. Technically, he's still owes money on it and it may be better to let The car get repoed not on your property. Since the title transfer is null and void, you never owned it.

You just need a good lawyer to go after this guy with the assistance of the lien holder who will want their money back immediately.

I also wouldn't put it past this MF to now report the vehicle as stolen. If he knows where it is, he can lead the police to you. I'm fairly sure you will be arrested if you're in position of someone else's vehicle without their permission.

Lawyer up and get the vehicle off your property. That's what I would recommend. Maintain the keys. He probably still has a set. If he sees the vehicle where he lives, He can't pin a fake stolen car episode on you. If you have the keys and he complains to the police that you took it without permission then put it back, that's a perfect segway to the entire fraudulent sale

Definitely get a lawyer before you start this process. Park it out on the street if you have to for now. Don't store it on your property.

Old 09-18-2024, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I suppose you could have the vehicle parked in a tow away zone so that it is towed, impounded, and builds up storage fees daily. You don't own it so you don't owe that money, he will.
​​​​​​
Yes I am passive aggressive.