Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

02 Saturn sc1 3 dr. auto having problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:21 PM

When I put the car into rev. or drive it is very sluggish.. It doesnt have the power to go frontwards or backwards really at all!!

Any ideas??

Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 AM

Is that due to the lack of engine power or the lack of the tramission engaging?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 PM

Alright what had happened was I bought this car, that was rolled.. I fixed the car, and now am trying to get it running. At first I noticed the exhaust was heating up red hot just before the cat. so I cut a hole in it and cleaned it out, I believe I got everything out. Then I noticed it was only running on 2 cyl.it had no spark at 1&4 anyway cleaned up the base of the coil packs, the block, put on new plugs and wires, and now it seems to be running decent... But when I go to put it in gear, it spits and sputters and has very little power to go in reverse, or forward. Is there any sensors that may have been coated with oil from when it was rolled that maybe causing this problem? There is a engine check light on, i''ll find out what it reads and post it up!!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 PM

I had the codes read and they came to be 301, 340, 341...

Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned

Just in case you don''t know what the codes are 301=Cylinder no.1 misfire. 340=No camshaft position sensor signal at powertrain control module. I don''t see a 341 but I do see a 351=Ignition coil no. 1peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwel time. Sound like you need new coils.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM

Ok, so any ideas what I have to change or clean up to makethese codes go away, and for the car to start working properly?? I believe the 341 code is another cam senser aswell.. Thanks!!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

You can unplug the sensors make sure they are clean, but maybe they just need to be replaced. Also make sure the coils are making in good shape.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

[img]uploads/derf/E97_Old_bruce_post.jpg[/img]

So Bruce:

Why are you logging in as Bruce 2003 instead of Bruce?
Haven''''t you already described multiple issues with this same vehicle as Bruce?

You never did respond to the above post until now, using another username. . . . . ? ?

Makes it much more difficult to help you when you post the same issues for the same car under two different usernames and two different threads. People lose the whole history of your vehicle.

Please pick a username and stick to it.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 AM

User name BRUCE is now disabled ... so I guess using bruce2003 should be the one you use.

Hey Derf long time no read from you. Nice to read your back on site. If you find any other strange things going on send me a note.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Suggestions:

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

Check new wire and plug for cyl 1 is not defective it does happen occasionally....

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

As S car engines go, there is no camshaft position sensor, as it is a waste spark system.

I have personally gotten this mix of codes with a dead cylinder.

Check compression in Cyl 1 (and the rest while you''''re at it). Don''''t forget to pull the injector fuse first.

Please post compression readings for all 4 cylinders.

If compression in cyl 1 is acceptable and the rest look good, I would suggest re-checking the grounding on the coils. Yes, we''ve been through this they are grounded through the mounting bolts and to a spot on the tranny (per Low Saturn - not as I originally explained)....

IF none of the above points to the issue I would go for a new (from dealer) DIS module/coil pack module. It is more expensive than just the DIS but it rules out the coils as a culprit. Junkyard DIS/coil packs are unknowns....

DerfEdited by: derf

Quick Reply: 02 Saturn sc1 3 dr. auto having problems