Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Cranks, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 11:47 AM

I ordered a new lock cyl. with keys and a new ignition switch. Here local was $160. Rock auto $101. I will get back to you in a while. Thank you again for your help

Old 12-03-2022, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Alrighty then.
I'll stay tuned.

And I've been saying passlock 2. I think it's the original pass lock and none of the Saturns ever got passlock 2. I have the memory of an adult grape. Apologies

Old 12-03-2022, 05:40 PM

After I install the new key and cyl. and ignition switch, I will get back to performing the tests you suggest . Thank you .

Old 12-03-2022, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Actually the first thing to do after installing them is the passlock relearn. If the car starts, you're done.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Dude, he already indicated no spark. When someone who is 84 says he can make it run w air spark an fuel, I take him at his word.

On the other hand, if you look at some of my trouble shooting threads of days past, you will realize that I am thoroughly over thorough, methodically methodical, and horrendously over theoretical when diagnosing vehicles.

Using the quick and dirty tests is obvious. Andy has helped me to approach things differently on a mental level but once pass lock gets involved, It becomes a mess that must be cleaned up before moving on.

Listening for the fuel pump relay to click seems rather equivalent to putting your finger on it.

Now that I'm done bitching about nothing in particular, I am actually ecstatic that you have chimed in with your suggestions. It's rare that anyone does and if I am off target or there is an easier way, I would love to know it and the owner with the issue would like to benefit from your knowledge as well.

So don't ever be reluctant to jump into any thread or at least mine. Auntie is a lifetime professional mechanic. I trust him implicitly. I am a self-taught clod with an analogical chemistry doctorate who analyzes the crap out of everything and takes a run at the complicated before considering the simple. Like I said, Andy has helped me to start simple where we can. I am a work in progress and will be until after I die. So please chime in.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:20 AM

No worries derf..........some us us hearing challenged and can't HEAR the relay so we lightly touch it to "feel" the click!! That's all I was trying to say.........now about touching other things.that's on you!

Old 12-05-2022, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Never would have thought of that in a thousand years. Thank you

Old 12-05-2022, 04:42 AM

Any time.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:56 AM

Here is a funny thing that will make you both laugh, when I worked on jet engines in the Air Force in 1957 , ear protection was not so good and I lost most of my hearing, I wear hearing aids now, but forget to were them most of the time. Thank you both for helping this old guy.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:39 AM

No Hupp....THANK YOU, I know it's all hip now to "thank Vets and stuff" but I guess you were lucky enuff to have missed Korea. Years ago I was at a BMW rally in Indiana, I heard over the PA that there was going to be a bus provided for a trip to an Air Force range nearby. I was on that bus and sat next to a guy with a ball cap that read " Korea, the forgotten war". I was along with everyone else enjoying the A-10 drill some old 113's ( We called em "Zippos" ) when some guy said out loud......Those are blanks" I guess he could not believe the sound was real. I turned around and asked him how blanks would make the dirt fly as the rounds went thru the tracks. That got quite a laff from the puzzled crowd and I noticed the old guy I rode in was laughing for a change.
So after the range was CLOSED and they were all on the way back to the bus, I snuck out behind the tracks and dug up a couple of rounds out of the dirt. When I jumped back on the bus, the driver was irritated because I had held up the bus until I showed him the rounds in my hand! That got a rise out of everyone on the bus!! I told them I only went out there after hearing the range officer announce twice the range "WAS CLOSED" and SAW the A-10's smoking it back to wherever they came from! ( I may look stupid but it's only a disguise )
I gave the old guy one of the rounds and told him I didn't forget about Korea and in fact had just finished the book titled " Korea the Forgotten War" We both got choked up and he gave me a little hug right there in front of God and everybody.
It's a great book and I highly recommend it, and let's not forget Pearl Harbor day is December 7th! In Peace.

Quick Reply: Cranks, but no start