Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Cranks, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 02:17 PM

Dude, I had 2 brothers that were both in the Marine Corp. My oldest brother was in the motor pool. Nest down , Fred was in Korea 1952-1954. he did not talk much about the war when he came home. He came back home and he and I slept in the same room .Not too often he would start screaming in his sleep. He was not the same person that went to war when he came home. Me, I just loved to fly and could only get on flying status about once a month. My monthly pay was $90. But when I got to fly, I got $50 more on flying status. I would not exchange my time in the Air Force for nothing.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:01 PM

Understood Hupp, 2 of my Uncles were in Korea, the older caught the tail end of WWII before going to Korea. Only thing I recall him saying was that Korea was worse. Herr's to All that served anywhere, anytime on behalf of our Republic, on this anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:29 PM

I had an Uncle that served in Korea. Uncle John got paralyzed in a Jeep accident. A Korean mortar hit the jeep his Sergeant was in and it flipped over. His Sergeant was killed and the Jeep landed on top of Uncle John and paralyzed him from the waist down. He didn't talk too much about that war. I had four uncles that served in WWII. Two in the Army, one in the Marines and one in the Navy as a See Bee. He was the Pacific fleet boxing champ during the war. He taught all of us boys in the neighborhood how to box and to defend ourselves. Not many kids came into our neighborhood and started fights. If they did, they learned real quick not to mess with the boys in Park Circle. We grew up tough. To this day, I STILL don't like to fight, but I sure as hell won't run from one either.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:57 PM

Right on Seed, quite a generation.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:45 AM

Update, I got the new lock cyl. and ignition switch. I installed them and set the pass lock. After each 10 min., the security light went out. Did it 3 times, same thing the security light stayed out. After a few minutes I tried to start the car. I herd and felt the fuel pump relay click. Now I have another problem. the engine does not rotate. I am going to check to see if i have 12 volts going to the starter and report back with what I find. I did notice before when my wife was turning over the engine and I was checking for spark with the spark plugs removed , that the engine did not turn over very fast and I just installed a new battery. I wonder if the starter is bad. I will let you know if I find power to the starter as my wife tries to start the car.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:56 AM

Make sure there's no green corrosion on either one of the battery cables. If you see it, you might need to strip the cable insulation off some and splice on a new clamp. Corrosion is killer as is a loose cable connection. Make sure both cables are clean and tight and there's no corrosion on the cables or battery terminals.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Is the battery fully charged? On my car the headlights burn during the 10 minute relearns. That and the ignition draw over 30 minutes is enough to draw the battery down. I always have a charger on during relearns.

Old 12-10-2022, 12:31 PM

cables are clean, look new ,. I had a charger hooked to the battery when i reset the pass lock. Battery is fully charged, when it turned over with the spark plugs out, it did not spin as fast as it should. Then the last time i tried to start it it did not turn over at all, but the fuel pump relay clicked and i felt it with my hand.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Good, maybe just a starter problem. Make sure it is in park.

Old 12-10-2022, 03:42 PM

I will see and if it turns out the starter, I will get a new 1. Thank you all for the help.

Quick Reply: Cranks, but no start