Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Cranks, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 11:19 AM

I do go North for the summer so the car sits for 6 months in the Fl. heat.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:04 PM

Put 5 gal's of gas, no change.

Old 12-24-2022, 03:37 PM

derf, are u thinking BCM?
Hupp, Will it start if you spray ether in her intake snorkel whilst cranking?
I understand you felt relay click.
That does not mean the pump is pumping.
Go to the tank, remove cap.
Put ear by filler hole.
Have someone turn on key.
Can you hear pump run foe 3-5 seconds?
Let us know.......

Old 12-24-2022, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

F2 F4 F5 melted contact on back of instrument panel junction box. Power distribution for charging port and fuel pump are off the same pin. New higher current phone chargers pull constant current through that wiring which was only ever designed to be a cigarette lighter. Or if somebody taps into that 12 volt line, there is much higher current than it was designed for.

If this goes on for a while, the pin will melt and some of the devices that get their power distributed at that pin will cease to function. The chime is the easiest indication that something is wrong there. Fuel pump is usually the second thing that goes. There is no logic to that it just seems to happen that way. The back of the instrument panel fuse box needs to be removed in order to inspect the pins and wiring. It may also be an issue of the pin where the fuse terminal goes into the fuse box has melted and there is no longer a physical connection. But if he is measuring 0 volts on the way to the pump, it must be an open circuit somewhere, and this is known to happen, especially after so many years of existence and use.

You access it by laying on the driver side floor and disassembling it from the back with the battery disconnected of course which will cause you to need to do another passlock learn.

See if you can get a picture of it. I have a thread on here somewhere that discusses this. I refer to it as F2F4F5 because the pin for power distribution to the fuel pump kept moving around but they kept it paired with the charging port / lighter so it continued to be a problem for the S cars.

It seems as though it is a sudden occurrence, but if it is the issue it has been building for years and since nobody expected the cars to last this long, it's usually never a problem. But people who tap into that line or use high current phone chargers end of having issues much sooner

Old 12-24-2022, 04:16 PM

First answer, I can not hear the pump run. Second, the girl that had the car before me used that to charge her phone a lot. I will disassemble the fuse panel, but not till after Christmas. Need to spend time with the family. I will get back to you. And thank you for the help and have a very Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2022, 06:42 PM

Outstanding derf!! I guess your calling the cigarette lighter the charging port? Dah!
Alright......... good nite and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2022, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Not quite. My point is everyone else threw out the heating element and USED IT as a charging port when the wiring and power distribution point was never designed for higher current continuous use by the fuel pump and the lighter socket the same time.

I actually still have the ashtray insert for my '95 SC2.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default Finally i found the freaking post

https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=173989

Ignore the posts about having to rip the dash apart to get to it. That's bull.

Not worth a $450 fix for a new fuse box unless you are having issues elsewhere and you are made of magic and can actually find one new.

Further down in the post at post 13 there is a picture of the letters and numbers that allow you to determine column F and the numbers. They are on the fuse panel itself but because it is white it's kind of hard to read without a really bright light down there.

There is another post further down that indicates which pin at this problem for each of the three generations of s cars. I forgot to note which one before coming and posting this because I was so excited that I finally found this post. Don't think I've looked for it in a decade and it is hard to search on because it needs to be five characters to find for the average person like me.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2022, 09:47 AM

One question, will I get more problems if I power the fuel pump direct from the battery?

Old 12-25-2022, 11:16 AM

understood derf........I read things literally....... a fault of using aviation manuals. They leave nothing to the imagination.
For you and Hupp, I was recently in Whiteys fuse box whilst returning her to service. I believe I posted pics, not sure how to find them.......
Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Dude; 12-25-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Cranks, but no start