Saturn - 2008 astra - no click - idiot lights only

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 04:58 PM
Default Saturn - 2008 astra - no click - idiot lights only

Stupid thing. It has to be a relay, well mostly. The starter is old, new battery, fully charged. It is standard transmission. Bypassed the clutch pedal switch. Same thing. No I am looking at the relay's as being the prolemo. If I look online I see info, both fuse box areas and fuse information are there. The fuse box shown, all the fuses with the amperage each numbered but they show the relay areas, square boxes with no info, no descriptions. I'd like to find the relays used, and where they are, actually the specific starter relay. Also for others in the future as these things are going to march to Antique age soon. It would be good for another one whom like me is still driving an Astra with 200 grand on the odo-meter - a real vehiccup. Hiccup. Disabled, inflation killing us all, now war. Well let us just call it extreme bright hot light waves coming. And I'd like to GO! Where, I dunno. A masonry tall building with a deep basement and a candy/pop machine. A secretary lost in emotion would be an additive too! Just kidding! Relay (Hella) numbers, location numbers is about it?!

Old 06-06-2024, 08:48 PM
Old 06-07-2024, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Please do not double post.

You have been warned.

Old 06-08-2024, 08:45 AM

New battery, you say? Try removing the cables and cleaning the posts and clamps with a wire brush. Just because that battery is new doesn't mean that there's not some kind of crap on the posts.

Old 06-08-2024, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

I tend to think the relay is inside the starter.
Do you get voltage from the ignition switch at the starter?

Old 06-21-2024, 10:44 PM

NEW NEW BATTERY, new new starter., darn had to pull out the CV axle for room, then a guy put the starter in, (but I wanted to check it by hooking up the battery but I had no cables, but I do have a few hanks of wire) oh well in the morrow I'll get out in the 92 degree weather, run thy wires, then I'll re-check the clutch switch, and the switch wiring. oh my AND THE RELAYS AGAIN! Well since it's down I'm throwing on the new rotors and brakes I have had for over a year and if I feel frosty I'll put the rear shocks on. But this all happens after the car starts. I have a relay coming anyways, OH man.
I still have another power steering pump that needs put in while I am at it or the hose, haven't got to that yet. (already did the water pump, new thermostat housing and fan switch, plus the alternator which yes I had to remove that engine mount, move the motor over to put in. (next will be a complete over haul) (KIDS) My daughter has had a junker in my driveway where an old focus with 89,000 miles is in the garage, needs, spark plug wires, starter, battery again, gas all drained. (KIDS) Note: to self: when your Country and WORLD is ready to nuke itself out of orbit, HAVE ANOTHER BACKUP.

Old 06-22-2024, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Ummm

If it is installed, aren't the wires normally attached to it available for use as they were before it was replaced? Why would you need additional wires?

Old 06-22-2024, 11:57 AM

Relay can be tested, also you can take out the relay and use a jump wire to see if starter clicks or turns . If you get a click , starter not getting enough power. Run positive line to starter solenoid ,of course do your research on how to. If car starts by turning key at that point, your ignition switch is good. Problem lies between battery and starter. Which is your wiring harness, hidden inline fuse in harness under battery area somewhere

Old 06-22-2024, 12:06 PM

Of course as someone else mentioned , you can check for proper voltage at starter first