2007 ion instrument gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 10:51 PM

No. Do the testing so you dont get raped on labor.
they'll probably hit you with 2 hours of labor for diag either way, but you'll be informed.
It may even help if you go in saying you think the bcm/cluster is bad. Ask to talk to the tech and give him step by step what you did.
If hes a good tech, they will double check and have a good starting point.
Either has to be programmed by the dealer though.
Cost me 800 to have the bcm done I dont know how many years ago. Also took almost a week because of back and forth with corporate on getting the scan tool and programming to do the job.

Old 05-01-2022, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by oldmarine
According to the wiring diagrams in the FSM, all gauges and warning lights are controlled through the Class 2 serial bus. There is no separate power source for gauges versus lights. I'm guessing the problem is either the instrument cluster or the BCM. Get/borrow a scanner that can read live data and plug it in to the OBDII port. Start the engine and see if you can read RPM, fuel quantity, water temperature, etc. If you see the correct information on the scanner, the BCM/ECM is providing data to the bus and the problem is probably the instrument cluster.

the only problem is getting a scanner that can do this. The scanners I can access through auto zone and places like that are only putting out codes.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Many Bluetooth scanners out there that can read CANBUS for not a ton of money. Do Not buy a cheap *** Chinese clone diag adapter for 20 or 30. They do not work. Read the reviews.

​​​​​​I Use an obdlink mx+ but they jacked the price up in the last two years and if you are not going to you use it on a bunch of different cars, it's not worth the cost for you.

Based on oldmarine, If the car is using class 2 serial data, then in fact it is not using can or GM lan which is GM's implementation of can. It is using class 2 data and something like an OBD MX should be able to communicate fine.

You can get enhanced diagnostic packages, but they used to cost extra with this particular adapter. They mentioned them on the Amazon description but they do not say whether they are included now.

Check the vendors website to make sure you know what you are getting. You don't really need the enhanced diagnostics for the basic things you are looking to see. The one I describe works with Android but not iOS and loads on your phone. There's also a Windows program so but you have to capture the data on the device and get it to your Windows computer.
Purchase directly from the manufacturer site. There are other places that sell them that are not authorized distributors. If you purchase from one of the unauthorized distributors your warranty is void.

There are devices out there that support iOS.

I have an MX for my old '97 Saturn and multiple MX+s, one for each vehicle glove box should I ever need it on the side of the road or for a random act of kindness in a parking lot​​​
There are of course wired versions that are handheld that Read the same information. I have zero experience with those and therefore cannot recommend anything. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Do your homework. This is a purchase you will not be making again unless the thing breaks so make sure you're happy with what it can do.