Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Help Turn Signals don’t work

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:18 PM

My 94 SL1 was stolen, and found by the MPD, thanks guys, minus a battery and stereo, and the turn signals don't work. checked the fuses, bulbs, stc. all okay. A new-used steering column 60$, but I am told I don't need another one. 3 people checked it out and have come down to the conclusion that the wiring in the steering column for the turn signals switch was cut or unplugged how do I get in and what do I look for, what do I do ?
Edited by: sts9

Old 04-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Assuming you have checked the turn signal fuse in the IPJB and it is good......

Sounds like the wiring between the turn signal switch and the Instrument Panel Junction Box (IPJB) has been compromised -- or was unplugged if the thieves were polite.....

The upper steering column covers should be removable via 4 screws located on the underside of the plastic housing and possibly one on the side. There should be several wiring harness connectors in there -- hopefully, the thieves were polite and one has become dislodged.

If that doesn't solve the issue....

Do your hazards work? If they do, then that would indicate that the wiring for the hazards</span> between the turn/hazard switch and the flasher unit (in the IPJB) is ok. However, the wiring for the turn signals</span> between the turn/hazard switch and the flasher unit can still be damaged even if the hazards work. That's because the wiring for the two systems share the flasher unit via two different circuits.

Noting that the following wiring info is from a 91-93 Saturn Chilton's manual (sorry, it is all I have).....

If hazards work but the turn signals don't, chances are the pink/blk stripe and/or purple wires (decribed below) are cut.
If the hazards don't work, then check all wires below.

These are the wires leading into the switch from the IPJB:

1) Pink w/black stripe</span> (provides power to the switch (for the turns signals only) through turn Signal fuse located in the IPJB)
2) Dark Green with white stripe</span> (provides power to the hazards (for the hazards only) thru the 10A hazard fuse in the Underhood Junction Block (UJB))
3) Dark Blue</span> (connects hazards to the flasher unit when the hazard switch is engaged)
4) Purple </span>(connects the appropriate turn signal circuit (left or right)) through the flasher unit when the turn signal is engaged.

Hope this helps.

Please post resolution.

Derf

Old 04-12-2006, 12:50 PM

Thank you so much Derf!

Hazards</span> work, All fuses good </span>under hood and passenger compartment.
The headlights work, as well as the brights when turn signal lever is flipped towards me...

I checked under the steering column covers with the rare 7/32 socket &amp; the cable assembly</span> is plugged into the turn signal switch.

Question:</span> What does the white plastic pin, on the bottom front on the left side near the turn signal switch, that moves horizontally both ways do?
The police officer said it was used to start the car but I have yet to see that happen, just wondering if that has something to do with the turn signal predicament, because the white pin, whatever it's purpose is, is visible from the theives cracking open the lower left side of the steering column cover...

Attempted to dislodge the steering wheel and bent both bolts so we downsized and went with shorter bolts and suprisingly the left bolt stripped/ripped the thread inside the wheel, ever have that happen? [img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Thanks for the wiring diagram!
I will keep you up to date on our progress as we search for the spot the wires lost touch!

By the way you wouldn't happen to know what the radio wiring diagram looks like? I am also in the process of installing an old tape deck to replace the missing cd player[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]
<br style="font-style: italic;"> PS is what the alphabet would look like if Q&amp;R were eliminated
</span></font> - Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)

</span>Thank you so much for your time, I greatly appreciate it!
-Elizabeth
</span></span></span>

Old 04-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

OK, hazards work - so the hazard portion of the flasher unit is functional, and fuses are good.

Wiring harnesses seem to be connected.

There is still the outside chance that turn signal portion of the flasher unit is bad -- pls replace flasher unit</span> to rule this out......before going on to the following.......

_______

The turn signal circuit appears to be fed from a pink wire (not one of the above) that exits the ignition switch and heads to the IPJB, where it powers the turn signal circuit (and apparently the brake pedal switch as well (up to 1993, anyway)) ....

Do your brake lights work with the turn signal fuse in place? If so, pull the turn signal fuse and try brakes again. If the brake lights worked with the fuse in place but don't work without it, then they are still on the same circuit in '94, and you know the pink wire mentioned here is indeed feeding the circuit with power.

On the other hand, if the brake lights don't work regardless of the fuse being in or out, they may not be on the same circuit in 94 and the following test comes into play:

A) Pull the turn signal fuse from the IPJB.
With the key in the "run" postition</span>, measure the DC Voltage drop between one end of the turn signal fuse contact in the IPJB and a ground (which is NOT the other end of the fuse holder -- this goes to the turn signal switch). Then between the other end of the Turn signal fuse contact in the IPJB and a ground. Be sure your ground is good or this test won't work!

If the turn signal fuse is getting power through the pink wire, one of these will indicate a non-zero DC voltage with respect to ground (should be +12V), and you have proved that the turn signal circuit is receiving proper power.

If you see no voltage drop, the turn signal circuit is not being powered , and the pink wire exiting the ingition switch is most likely the culprit, and is damaged in the vicinity of the turn signal assembly and the ignition switch.

Obviously, you must engage the starter to start your vehicle. To do this, though, they would have had to route power to the starter solenoid without turning the ignition lock cylinder. I'm guessing they could have done by this by using the aforementioned wire coming off the ignition switch and re-routing it to energize the starter solenoid....

....Hmmmm.....

(No, I've never tried this ...)

Remember, replace flasher unit first.

Keep us posted

Derf

Old 04-17-2006, 11:52 PM

Hey,

There has been a recall issued for the turn signals by Saturn HOmeoffice for all L-Series raning from 2000-2003. Might call your retailer to see if yourvehicle is included.

Marv

Old 05-18-2006, 10:06 PM

Sorry I forgot to give the good news, the little white **** below the turn signal handle was missing some type of connection to the handle, so we wrapped a wire around the **** and the handle and now my turn signals work! After several hours of checking the electrical lines and connections to everything under the steering wheel, well I learned a lot.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 PM

"There has been a recall issued for the turn signals by Saturn HOmeoffice for all L-Series raning from 2000-2003."

A recall on the Saturn L has nothing to do with a Saturn S. No recall has been made on the S series turn signals. For those wondering.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 AM

At least you figured out your problem. My turn signals don't work at all in the cold (40F and below) until the engine and cabin are all warmed up, then they work fine!