Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 05:05 AM
Default Remote start

Hello I have a 2007 outlook Xr, I’m having a problem with the remote start. I changed batteries made sure everything was done the way it was in the the manual. It doesn’t matter if is hot or cold out, occasionally it might start the lights flash but nothing is happening. When I go out the doors unlock and the light comes on. If I go in and turn the key to start it will stats shut it down in a second get out lock the door with the fob hit the remote it starts right up, what is going on here?what am I doing wrong? Thank youlm

Old 09-20-2019, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Not trying to be nasty, but it's hard to make sense of your description several of the sentences run on and with some key words missing from some sentences, it is just not clear what you are saying. Please post again below my post so it will show up as a new post

Old 09-21-2019, 06:18 AM
Default Outlook remote start

Hello, none taken. I have a 2007 Saturn outlook Xr, my problem is the remote start. One day it works and another day it doesn’t. It doesn’t matter if it is the start hot or cold out. The lock button is pushed and flashes and then I hurry up to press the start button which also will flash but nothin happens. When I can’t start it, I they all passhave to go outside unlock the car, put the key in the ignition and it turns over, once it does that I turn the car off, lock the doors and press the remote start and it starts right up. Checked everything Saturn has on the subject and I still get the problem. Hatch and hood closed as with all the doors. Batteries have been changed in the fob, alternator good, battery is brand new. What am I missing?

Old 09-22-2019, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

What if anything changed with the vehicle immediately before you started having this problem? Did somebody work on the car? Did you have any electrical repairs done? What brand of remote start is installed?

Old 09-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Default Remote start

There has been no work on the car. Only oil, battery tires, etc the remote starter is factory . I can’t understand how the lights flash like it’s going to start and doesn’tt. Or when I can turn the ignition over turn it off and then start it with the remote. Thank you for your time it is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I personally have no hands on experience with remote start installation or programming. That said,

However, some are rather complicated in terms of all the games they need to play to bypass the car's built-in security system.

Per chance, did the receiver that sticks to the inside corner of windshield fall off, shift position, etc. Some of these systems are very sensitive to the location of the receiver, especially with regards to the range from which the remote starter will successfully start.

I suspect that when you are starting it with the remote start system after having cranked on the car manually, you are sitting in the driver's seat. Try the following:

Make sure the remote start antenna is attached to the windshield in the top corner.

Get into the vehicle, do not insert the key, lock the vehicle with the fob as if you were outside the vehicle.

Try the remote start. If it does not work, go get it reprogrammed at a Chevy dealer since they will have the schematics and the programming for it as a GM dealer. Do not waste time and money trying to have a jack-of-all-trades shop sort out your factory alarm. they will likely spend more time trying to convince you to buy a different one than fix the one you have or tell you it's too expensive to fix which is interesting because they probably actually don't know what it is.

If it does work, unlock the doors with the fob to simulate getting in from the outside. Turn the key to run as you normally would after starting with the remote start. Turn off the car with the key, get out close the doors, lock the vehicle with the fob.

Take 5 to 10 steps away from the vehicle in a straight line direction you will be able to increase as necessary.

Try to remotely start the vehicle. pay attention to lights on the vehicle in the lights on the fob. If the vehicle starts, unlock with fob, get in.... Same as above to simulate what you would normally do. Then turn off the vehicle and lock with fob once you were outside.

Add five to ten steps to your previous number of steps and walk that distance in the same straight line direction as before. Repeat remote start attempt.

You will probably eventually find a distance at which it stops functioning properly. This either means your remote start fob is not putting out a strong enough signal, the correct signal, or once the signal is received, it is getting misprocessed.

So basically it could be your fob, the antenna module, the board between the antenna module and the car's ignition system, and or the programming of that board. Yes, I've just stated the obvious.

My troubleshooting steps will really only determine if it is a signal strength issue. Without diagnostic equipment to see what is being received at the vehicle, there is no way to troubleshoot it at home.

Best I can do. Again, this is one of the few times I recommend going to a GM dealer. They have the schematics, they have the parts hopefully, and they have the ability to reprogram it which is probably all it needs. But the testing above should reveal if it is a signal strength issue and therefore it might trace the issue directly to your remote start fob

Please let us know how this turns out. Many people have these types of problems, ask for our help, we suggest trying things --- and they never post back to let us know whether we were right, almost right, completely wrong, clueless etc. plus it is a huge help to the next person that same vehicle that has the same issue you do.

Thanks.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

So what was wrong with the remote start? Never saw a reply. Others have similar issues.

Thanks

Derf

Old 05-31-2020, 08:12 AM

Instead of a one and done, could this poster be a two and through, derf?