Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

*URGENT* Transmission Valve Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Well, got a used working valve body in a few days ago from a nearby vendor. Looked good from the outside, and I thought it would do the trick. Installed it today. Get the car up and running. (after replacing the filter AND the fluid) and the car wont go into Park or Reverse, all gears are Drive! Ahhhhhhh, lol. I think we messed up on the "Manual Valve". It fell out and I dont know if we put it in the right way. Which was is the plastic clip supposed to face, to the right or the left side (if you are looking down on it). Either that or it said something about a spring lever needed to be taken out of the old one and put into this one, but I think this one came with it. Please help! I think were gonna give it ago again tomorrow morning.

-Breece

Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Forgot to mention, fluid is also now leaking out of the car. We are missing two screws from the actual valve body COVER not the valve body.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Sounds like the selector switch is out of adjustment. I can post the test and allignment procedure when I get home from work.

Send me a private message if I dont post is by tomorrow morning in case I forget. I have a couple Saturns I'm swapping engines into tonight.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 PM

I sent one. If you could please show me that'd be SUCH a great help. Like I said, the car is stuck in Drive. Ahhhhh

Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM

Pleaseeeeee sorry for being impatient, just kinda upset it still doesnt work.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 AM

Sorry it took so long, I spend more time on line at work that at home.

While adjusting the transaxle range switch, always rotate the switch towards the engine to achieve continuity. A diagnostic trouble code DTC P0706 could result if this procedure is not followed.</font>

Selector switch adjustment

1. Place transaxle in D (Drive). Use ohmmeter or continuity tester to check for continuity across terminals on selector switch. Rotate the transaxle range switch from the left fender towards the engine until continuity is achieved.

2. Place transaxle in D (Drive). Use ohmmeter or continuity tester to check for continuity across terminals on selector switch. Rotate the transaxle range switch from the left fender towards the engine until continuity is achieved.

{B]Shift cable adjustment.[/b]

1. Move the shifter into the Park (P) position.

2.Position and raise the vehicle on the hoist.

3. Disconnect the control cable assembly from the control lever assembly located on the automatic transaxle.

4. Make sure the control lever assembly is in the Park position by moving the control lever assembly clockwise, away from the engine, until it clicks and cannot be moved any farther.

5. Release the control cable assembly adjustment lock tab at the automatic transaxle. Use a screwdriver, awl, or pick to pry up the lock tab and lift.

6. Reconnect the control cable assembly to the control lever assembly.

7. Move the control cable assembly housing back and forth in the adjuster and note end play.
A. Center the control cable assembly in the middle of the end play.
B. Depress the lock tab on the control cable assembly.

8. Lower the vehicle from the hoist.

9. Verify the proper operation. Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Thank you very much. I actually fixed the problem yesterday and it seems I didnt install the little lever on the transmission into the manual valve right. Stupid me. Thank you all so much for your help.