Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1996 Saturn SL Brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Default 1996 Saturn SL Brake light problem

I'm having a problem with my 1996 Saturn. The first problem is my brake lights don't come on when applied. The brake light at the top of the window works but the rear doesn't. I've changed the bulbs but no help. Also When my car idles for a little while, the anti freeze starts leaking out of the right bottom of the car?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 PM

I think I might have a problem with my brake light switch but where is it located? Also could I have a leak coming from the anti-freeze tank itself?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Caps for coolant expansion tank on the passenger side have been known to go bad, creating a pressure leak. However, usually it is slight and you will only see steam coming out....

If you're idling and seeing actual antifreeze liquid, it sounds like your system probably has a more serious leak. Exactly where is the leak coming from? Drive side front? central front ? pass side front? Do you see antifreeze residue on other components under the hood.

Check your upper and lower radiator hoses for leaks, as well as the one leading to the coolant expansion tank.

The OEM radiators themselves tend to develop cracks in the plastic side tanks of the radiator right near the mounting brackets where they mount to the vehicle.

How many miles on vehicle?
----
As for brake light situation -- are you getting any voltage at all at the brake bulb sockets?

Have you checked brake light fuse? The upper center brake light is on a different fuse for situations exactly like this where the main brake lights are not functioning.

If the brake fuse is good then we will move on to the brake light switch....

Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The leak is coming from the passenger side. I see one hose that has residue on it but it's brand new. The car has 150,000 mile on it I just had the engine replaced about a month ago but the problem was there before then. Then leak is kind of small except if the car idles. Do you think there might be a clog somewhere causing a back to the tank. I filled with anti freeze about a 5 days ago and now the car jerks in power. I love this car and I really don't want to get rid of it....As for the brake lights, I bought another set of bulb and replaced them and it seems to be ok. They're not as bright as the window brake light but they're on..

Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

can you post a pic of the hose with the residue and the area where the coolant is dripping from? This kind of thing is hard to diagnose without being able to see the car...

If the problem was there before the engine swap, and is on the pass side, and is not being flung around by the serp belt, my guess would be

1) the expansion tank itself (either the cap or the hose which feeds it). This needs to remain pressure tight for proper cooling system operation -- it is NOT an overflow tank like the old days)

2) the plastic side tank of the radiator on the passenger side, near where it mounts to the car. If the original radiator is still in the car, then this is not far fetched...

I did not say water pump as I'm assuming you got a new one when the engine was swapped in (or someone at least rebuilt and transferred your original tired one from the old engine)