Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1999 Saturn SL2 - Alternative Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Smile 1999 Saturn SL2 - Alternative Engine

Folks,

I need some advice. I have a 1999 Saturn SL2, with only 150K miles and the car smokes and burns oil like nothing I have seen. I want to keep the car and keep it as a toy.

I would like to know if there are alternative engines, I can install moving forward to "upgrade" the features of the car.

Currently I seem to have some coolant disappearing issue as well, have yet to figure out that problem.

Please advice on alternative engines and systems I could look into. I would love to convert the car to electric but batteries cost too much money for now.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 PM

With enough money, a big hammer and a welder, anything will work. But to bolt in something different? Won't happen. Another Saturn S series engine is your only choice. See sticky at top of page because depending on the year at the of the car, some S series engines need to massaged to make them fit.

Last edited by uncljohn; 09-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 PM

Thats right, no bolt in not evan close.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
With enough money, a big hammer and a welder, anything will work. But to bolt in something different? Won't happen. Another Saturn S series engine is your only choice. See sticky at top of page because depending on the year at the of the car, some S series engines need to massaged to make them fit.
That just sucks What a potential waste. Was really looking forward to having some fun modifying stuff and keep the 4 wheels running for longer.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 PM

I was just taking a glance at Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series

It shows the SL2 was manufactured till 2002.
Then Ion (2003-2007)
Then Astra (2008-2009)

Would any of the SL2 from 2000 - 2002 work? To bolt in to my 1999 body or frame?
How about the Ion or Astra models? Are there significant changes?

As you guys can tell, I do not know much about cars and mechanics, but was looking forward to learning Thank you for your patience and time!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 PM

All engines will bolt in cept the 1991 that will with much extra work. You need a doner car as you wil need everything including harness, and computer. Maybe PM hoseppi to see if you can get away with it.

Last edited by sw2cam; 09-01-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM

If you have taken a glance at this:
==============================
I was just taking a glance at Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series
==============================
I think you need to go back and read it carefully. It has been awhile since I have read it but as I remember it was pretty complete and will answer your questions fairly completely.
Mechanically all of the S series engine will similar in many ways. At least to be able to bolt things up to. Any other Saturn engine has no relationship at all to the orignial S series and will not even remotely bolt up so you are stuck with having to deal with an S series engine.
I am not as I am writing anyway in total agreement with SW2CAM that if you change engines you have to change computors and all and in saying that I believe he knows more than I do on these series cars. I do though suspect that any of the S series engines, configured that is assembled or using the parts of the year car you are going to run it in, will not need a new computor. The computor will not care. That means the long block which is block and head are using intake and sensors from the 1999 it would make no difference. The question is whether you can do that and to what extent I believe that reference covered the possibility.
The other side of the story simply is if you wish to LEARN, the one you have is both the cheapest and under the circumstances the most logical one to learn from.
Your engine needs to be rebuilt. You have it and all the pieces. Rebuilding an engine is a matter of money, tools and learning how to do it and what parts of it you need to take elsewhere and have it done for you. Also as to how much rebuilding it actually needs. Knowing how to rebuild one is also knowing whether something needs money spent on it or not. The S series engine has developed a reputation for high mileage oil consumption but then again, many engines form that era have also and it may not be the engines fault but the recommended maintanence procedure used on it.
No difference. Internal wear has yet to be determined. The part with the highest possible wear is the cylinders and boring out and new pistons and rings are a viable alternative to buying a new engine which may very well need the same thing is something to think about. Then again, once apart and cylinder wear measured and the ring at the top of the cylinder determined, the wear may not require machining and the ring can be removed. There are tools for that and new piston rings purchased and the whole thing re-assembled for not a whole bunch of money. And while apart performance cams installed.
You said you wanna learn! Rebuilding your own is a way to do that.
And in the long run be a better deal. The S series engine with twin cams can have some pretty quick performance with the best of them.