Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1999 SL2 low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator/filter. It made all of the difference. Now the pressure is up at 50 psi,and there is reserve pressure (after the car is shut off).The car starts easily, runs more smoothly at speed (used to hum and vibrate more with each combustion event....was quite annoying), seems to have a bit more power (less throttle required), and gets hotter faster. I don''t know if my m.p.g. will go up or not as of yet. I do know that the fuel gauge dropped down 1/8 of a tank right away, possibly from all of the fuel that leaked out when I disconnected the old filter (which was full of fuel as well). Hopefully it will get better mileage. The gauge is hard to read, and it is better to just take mileage readings at fill-ups, as the gauge likes to move down quite a bit on one trip, and then it''ll be a bit higher on the next, though during a trip it might not move muchat all. I guess I''m just used to the gauge in my 1951 Chevrolet, which moves all over the place all the time. You can tell if you have enough reserve gas by going around the corner. If the needle doesn''t move, you know that you better get to a station quick. I find that the Saturn gauge might be higher or lower depending on how I have it parked on an incline, but it is slow to change once I start driving it on level ground.

At any rate, the filter/regulator seems to have been the problem, and now the car is great!! Thanks for the help. Also, there was a lot of black crap in the old filter. WOW!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Well, I''m back with my mileage reports. It has actually gone down! However, I''ve been doing all city driving, and there''s a lot of snow. I got only 27 mpg on my last tank. One other thing I''m curious about is the idle speed. What''s it supposed to be? My book says 500-600, but my car idles at about 850 after a thorough warm-up. I tried adjusting the screw. Made no difference. I''m guessing that the idle air bleed is dirty or something, or maybe the computer just wants it to idle at 850.