Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1st Gen SC2 values

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022 | 08:18 PM
|
Default 1st Gen SC2 values

Hi guys, this is topic as a first post is probably not going to make me popular, but I am having trouble figuring out the market for S-Series. That, or I have figured it out and just do not like what I see. I am starting from pretty much zero Saturn knowledge.

I've come across a '94 SC2 that is in very good condition, especially rust - wise (i.e. virtually none underneath). Paint is pretty good, new tires, odometer broken at 118K ten years ago, so lets assume 250K. Manual transmission & leather interior.

So I am trying to figure out how much this car is worth. I am generally into older, slightly collectible cars and in that context, the fact that this car is so clean underneath would be a massive boost in value. Looking around at S-Series for sale, and it appears that they are worth maybe $2k in good condition, maybe a little more if mileage is exceptionally low. I was shocked to see this, especially the way the used car market has been the past couple of years. Am I missing something here? I would have thought S-Series would have started to ramp up off the bottom of the depreciation curve, but maybe they haven't and maybe they never will?

Anyway, I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here, I personally think the 1st gen SC2 with the pop up headlights are a very good looking car and would have expected that some of the 1990s car nostalgia we've seen these past years would be rubbing of on them.

Old 11-08-2022 | 08:22 PM
|
Default Pics

Here are a couple of pics in all her glory. I am shocked at how decent the clearcoat and interior still are.

Old 11-09-2022 | 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

That baby has lived in a garage all of its life and has been detailed twice a year minimum. It appears to have the original side view mirrors or the owner actually paid to have them paint matched because replacements are black. The dash has some sunfade and I don't know that I've ever seen leather seats in a Saturn that look unused. Without looking at the road rash on the hood and the number of literally original parts under the hood and car, I can't tell you how many miles are on it. I'm guessing more like 150 k. Definitely a single owner vehicle.

As for value, right now it is what the market will bear and heavily dependent on where you are. Try to sell that car in West Virginia and you will find there is zero market due to all the hills.

The book value for these cars reflects zero nostalgia and all reality. I love my '95 SC2. Apparently no one else does, nor do they wish to have it. It's fine with me. I've seen ridiculous things like 2002 SC2s with 50,000 mi listed for $8,000 at used car dealerships but that's BS.

Tried to sell my '97 SC2 outside Pittsburgh. Started around $2,500. Down to 1500. Not a single call.
If you're thinking of getting it, please remember that parts availability is way down.

Old 11-09-2022 | 08:02 AM
|

Thanks for the quick reply. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions. While I think S-Series Saturns are special cars, the rest of the world just sees and on old 2 door compact, and there hasn't been much of a market for 2 door cars for about the past 15 years.