Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2001 SL1 solid security light

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 09:42 PM
Default 2001 SL1 solid security light

Picked up an 01 SL1 for realativly cheap the guy who I bought it from said he bought it in the same condition I got it in ( cranking with security light on ) been like this for a year and a half or so, he threw a new battery in it, didn't work, now I got it, didn't realize the severity of the light, keep seeing **** about how to try to fix a blinking light but nothing about a solid light, I was thinking new battery leads and go from there, is there any way to bypass the system or would replacing the bcm help? It's a lower mileage 5 spd so I'd like to save it if possible instead of the crusher

Old 01-03-2022, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried the **** you've seen regarding the Passlock reset?

Has the ignition switch or wiring been messed with?

Old 01-03-2022, 07:46 AM

It hasn't been messed with to my knowledge, haven't tried the reset because all of the info I've seen about it says it resets blinking security light, not the solid one, it's probs worth a shot tho since it's free to do

Old 01-03-2022, 11:31 AM

Also any chance there would be lock bump starting it, I gotta move the thing to a different house

Old 01-03-2022, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Not that I know of. Security will not enable the injectors or spark until the key matches what the sensor in the ignition cylinder thinks it should. It will then tell the BCM it's okay to uninhibit the spark and injectors. By default, everything is inhibited until the security criteria are met and that means cylinder talking to an agreeing with BCM plus BCM sending message to ECM plus ECM getting the message plus ECM understanding the message.

Have you ever seen this thing run?

I believe if you search on solid security light for the Saturn S series it has something to do with long-term security lockout as opposed to the blinking mode in the car is basically saying hey someone's messing with me. I'm almost positive there are two modes. The reset procedure will usually get rid of the blinking light. We don't have many people on here with the solid light. Certainly not in the S cars. Ions and l cars that's different.

When you turn the key and the dashboard lights up, what does the mileage read, and after the bulb check, does everything stay on or does it turn off and just leave the battery oil and whatever other light I'm forgetting?

Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/ge...ocedure-12031/

Link to the reset procedure that is on our site.

Use another running vehicle hooked up with jumper cables to keep your battery from dying during the 30 combined minutes the key will be on but the car not running

Old 01-04-2022, 08:44 AM

Take the battery and get it load tested. If it's okay, make sure it's fully charged. You might also want to check the ignition fuses in the under hood fuse box. Maybe one of them is blown? IDK, I'm NOT a mechanic. If the battery is fully charged, I'd also try roll starting it since it's a manual shift. You never know. And if it doesn't start that way, maybe it's the clutch switch? Once again, I don't know, just speculating outside the box.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:31 PM

Once I get it moved Saturday morning I'm making a parts stop on the way to my house, gonna get the battery checked and get a new one if need be, new battery leads since they corroded as ****, as well as a fuze master kit, and I'll replace every fuze in the thing, then try the security reset that takes 30 minutes, plan to fiddle with the ignition too if that don't work

Old 01-05-2022, 10:10 AM

Try roll starting it, if you can. It doesn't need a mile long runway.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:56 AM

Ye, driveway is an upward hill so I'll try in a couple when my brothers around, the road behind my place is quiet and flat so I'll try back there, don't have high hopes though since power cut off to the spark plugs, injectors, and fuel pump, due to the light, also if it does bump start does that narrow down what the culprit to the not starting and the light could be?

Last edited by B_RAD; 01-05-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 SL1 solid security light