Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

94sl1 surges during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
I appreciate all the help I can get on this one. I own a 94 SL1 with about 115,000 to 130,000 miles don't know for sure how many the odometer was broken fora couple of years. The problem that I have been experiencing for the past two years is thecar surges/hesitates during light accelerationfrom speeds of 25 to 50 miles an hour. IfI am traveling at 25 to 50 miles an hour and let off the gas and then give it the gas lightly it bucks and jerks about 3 to five times or until I press the accelerator about half way to the floor and then it goes and drives fine.No codes. Idles fine in drive or park.In the past few monthsI have replaced the following. Spark plugs and wires, PCV valve, valve cover gasket (fixed my oil leaks)air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, transmission fluid, antifreeze, water temp sensor (this was bad). Map sensor, map sensor vaccum line (it had a burn/rub hole inthe angle fitting by the throttle body), EGRsolenoid, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the EGR valve and checked all the related vaccum lines. The EGR valve moves freely with vaccum applied to it. I went down the EGR road and replaced the map sensor because I actually got a 32 code once but cleared it while changing the map sensor and it hasn't come back. I have also got a 45 code (O2 sensor rich) once while idling at a traffic signal in netural when theengine was cold I cleared it and it came back once more so I cleared it again and don't idle in netural and it hasn't come back.Its a good little car that has been in the family since it was new and only a part time driver my sister drove it for years just 3 miles back and forth to work each day. She sold it to me because the dealer would only give her 500 bucks for trade on a newer one 4 years ago when it only had about 80,000 miles. Now a days I just drive it to church on Sundays and take it on a freeway ride for about 160 miles one weekend a month and a couple a weeks a year. I am getting about 22 Mpg in town and about 28 on the hiway. Thanks for any suggestions. I am going to take one more crack at it and if I don't resolve it myself I am going to take it to the dealer.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-09-2008, 07:02 PM

just answered a similar question not sure of the year of their car yours needs a new egr valve. The spring is weak and allows the valve to open too much at small throttle openings. Just to be sure remove the vacuum line from the valve and drive it,if it drives normally there you go.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 PM

A code 32 usually indicates a bad EGR solenoid. A code 45 usually indicates a faulty ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor). You said you replaced a temperature sensor. Which did you replace? Theres two. One sends coolant temperature information directly to the gauge, the other sends coolant temperature to the PCM. The two wire sensor that sits lower in the head is the one you should of replaced. Even if you replaced that one, the electrical connector could be bad causing the problems you describe.