Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Fixing a parking brake on a 1996 Saturn SL

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Default Fixing a parking brake on a 1996 Saturn SL

Hi folks,

I have a 1996 Saturn SL1 that is in need of a repair to its parking brake. It hasn't worked right in a few years and I hadn't worried about it too much because it wasn't a big deal until now. I have a job offer in another state and planning to head out there in a couple weeks and (believe it or not) the one thing holding me back is that my car wouldn't pass the state safety inspection because the parking brake doesn't lock when I pull it up.

Specifically, a few years ago the button and spring flew out. I still have both, and the button appears to have broken on one side on the inside. I've been researching this all day and if I understand right on a 96 you can't just pop a new button on, but have to replace the entire parking brake and rehook the cables and all that.

What I am unsure of is:

1) Where, in a Saturnless world, does one obtain Saturn parts? All the sites I've gone to tell me they don't have parts for a 96. (although I think I read for the parking brake 95-99 all use the same one)

2) What part specifically am I looking for? I was thinking of the parking brake control but I'm not really sure if thats what I need.

All this makes me regret it when I took the car to Saturn a few years ago and refused to get it taken care of then. Now the dealer isn't there anymore!

If anyone can shed any light on my dilemma I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM

First go to the internet, second open your search engine, third type saturn parts. Or you could do some reading on this and most other Saturn forums and a name will come up over and over as to where to buy OEM Saturn parts.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Here is the part you are looking for. It is is easy to replace-takes about 5min.

Attached Thumbnails Fixing a parking brake on a 1996 Saturn SL-satbrake.jpg  
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

how much will you sell it to him for, Hos?
(Nice table)

Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Ichythus, were you able to find that part? I have a few spares if you need one. I'm wondering what causes them to fail? I assume, like other plastics, heat and time are the culprits. I've only replaced 4 or 5. I think the newer models have metal linkage. Derf, what are those quotes from?

Last edited by hoseppi; 04-13-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Begin threadjack
If anyone else asked I'd tell them to use the damn internet.
But for you Hos....
Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)
End Threadjack

Resume Thread
I might be interested in one of those parking brake thingies for my 95 and 97 as a spare --- never can have too many spare saturn parts for 14 and 16 year old S cars...

Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 AM

Derf, now I feel special. You would think I would have known because that was part of my generation ( the lost generation). Let me know if you need any parts as I am in the process of cleaning up my junkyard (scrap prices are up) and I got rid of 16 cars last week (only 4 were Saturns).

Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Banned

Hoseppi --

Lemmie threadjack for a sec -->

You got any interior plastic trim for the driver's side window and seat belt track for a '93 SW2 in that boneyard of yours?

--> End threadjack

Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM

My 95 SC needs a parking brake assembly, part number 21012382. Apparently, on the 95, the entire assembly needs to be replaced, not just the button. The part is discontinued and I cannot find one in stock anywhere.

Does anyone here have one to sell me?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 PM

I had the same thing happen to my new to me 1997 SL2 yesterday. The spring launched the button to the far side of the dash. I guess I should not have been playing with things in the car.

Any GM dealer can order parts for your Saturn. I stopped at the local Chevrolet dealer and ordered the button with a spring part number 21013456 group 4.592. It cost a whole $4.70 plus tax. It should be here in Arizona in 5-6 days from Lansing Michigan. I think that it just pushes on and the clips hold it on

My SL2 has the leather interior package, so yours could be different.

Quick Reply: Fixing a parking brake on a 1996 Saturn SL