Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Default Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi i'm new to this site and have questions about my 2002 Saturn SL2.
my check engine light came on and i took it to find out what is wrong. It has 141,000 miles on the carr

The codes that came up are below:

PO128 Coolant Temp Sensor for ECM
PO130 O2 Sensor
PO133 Slow Response O2 Sensor

what do they mean and are they a real expensive fix?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 PM

The coolant temp sensor should be purchased at a GM dealer that still sells Saturn parts. If you buy aftermarket from Autovanceriley's, you'll be sorry. Get the one from GM along with the pigtail. Price should be in the forty dollar range. I"m not sure about the O2 sensors, but think if you change the ECTS (electronic coolant temp sensor) and pig tail and disconnect the ground cable from the battery for about five minutes to clear the codes that you'll probably be okay. The ECTS being defective can cause the engine to run rich or lean and mess with the 02 sensors. Give that a shot and post back and let us know what's going on.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Yup, what he ^^^^ said.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Disagree with the above, but I can understand why they came up with their conclusions, you led them down the primrose path with incorrect information.

P0128 is not "Coolant temp sensor for ECM". This code means that the engine did not reach operating temperature after a programed period of time, the time is set according to outside temperature and throttle position.

Ideally, you should have pulled the freeze frame data and checked the ECT, it was probably just under 180F or 80C. This is typical of the early failure stages of the thermostat. It isn't stuck, but it is not closing fully and so it is taking the engine longer to heat up than it should. In a little while, it will eventually stay wide open and the engine will not heat up at all.

This is a very sensitive test. I had this code set when the engine was at 179F, just 1 degree below the threshold. If this condition persists for awhile, it can damage the O2 sensor, but at your mileage, the O2 sensor is not long for the world anyway. This is the front sensor located in the exhaust manifold and is easy to get at. For this sensor, you can use a cheap aftermarket one wire universal O2 sensor. Just be sure to put anti-seize on the threads if it doesn't come with it. I always add a little extra but be sure not to get any on the sensor itself