Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

No brake lights or dash lights??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:53 AM
Default No brake lights or dash lights??

All the lights are on but the dash and parking lightsI need help I have a 97 Saturn SL2 I had no turn signals and no parking lights I replaced the multi turn signal unit on the steering column now everything works but the dash lights and parking lights I have replaced all the fuses and bulbs that I needed to still nothing any help would be appreciated got to fix it so I can work thank you

Old 03-14-2021, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Derf has the service manuals for this S series car, he will be along soon. Sounds like there must be a hidden fuse panel with a bad running light fuse.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Derf has the service manuals for this S series car, he will be along soon. Sounds like there must be a hidden fuse panel with a bad running light fuse.
I found two fuse boxes one under the hood and one on the passenger side in the console. Iam just honestly more consernd with the parking lights at the moment I can work around the dash lights really.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Might you accidentally have rotated the dashboard light dimmer all the way to the left? That's the zero setting so you would see no light coming out of the dashboard. Rotate it all the way to the right.

As for the running lights, I will need to look that up in a few hours. Going out to run an errand.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Parking lights or brake lights? Title says brake, post says parking.

Those are dual bulb each with a dual filament if I remember correctly.

Do they work in parking light mode with no brakes or do they not light at all?

Also, do the dash lights come on when you turn the headlights all the way on or is it absolutely nothing?

Last edited by derf; 03-14-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

My nickname is Derf because I do everything bass ackwards.

Having received no further information from you, here is how it is supposedly wired.

Right tail light assembly
Turn lamp, side marker lamp, tail lamps and stop lamps or all grounded through a single black wire.

There are two tail stop lamps, each has two filaments.

With just parking/tail lights on, the R side marker and one filament each of the two R side tail stop lamps are fed through a brown wire that comes from the instrument panel junction block. There is nothing in between.

The right side turn lamp is fed through a dark green wire that comes from the instrument panel junction block. There is nothing in between.

When the brake switch closes, current is sent through a light blue wire from the brake switch to the left turn assembly although there is a split that comes across to the right tail light assembly that lights the second filament of both tail stop lamps. The split is also a light blue wire. The current also of course goes through one filament each of the left side tail stop lamps.

The left side turn lamp is fed through a yellow wire from the instrument panel junction block. There is nothing in between.

The source of the current through the brown wire that feeds each tail light assembly is a common source so either they both get power or they don't.

It does not look like the two rear tail light assemblies share a common ground. They each go to ground separately

Making the assumption that your brake lights work fine, we need to trace the brown wire further up in the circuit.

This should involve the park fuse but not the brake light fuse. If the brake light fuse is blowing we have more issues.

After traveling through the fuse in the instrument panel junction box the brown wire splits. One branch goes to the underhood junction block and feeds the left and right front marker lamps as well as the left and right front Park filament of the park turn lamps. Again these do not share a common ground left to right.

The other branch of the brown wire exits the instrument panel junction box at a different location and runs directly to the headlamp switch. So all of the front and rear markers and park / tail lights should eliminate properly when the headlight switch is turned to park and of course headlight.

The headlamp switch is fed by an orange wire from the 10 amp Park fuse in the under hood junction box.

If your hazards and turn signals function properly in the back and front, those circuits are obviously okay. What I mean is there is nothing crossed. The hazard circuit and the turn signal circuit are interdependent but do not interact directly with the headlamp switch circuitry.

Do your turn signal indicators on the dashboard function?

Depending on the position of the headlamp switch, current is routed through a solid state device which determines what to do with the interior lights in the car, including the instrument panel.

The most obvious place for the issue is the headlight switch which has six wires going into out of it.

If you lose the ground off that solid state device, the connection to the interior light functionality is gone and you will have no dash lights in park or headlamp.

If you lose the ground from the headlamp switch, your headlights should not work at all. Not sure about the interior stuff.

And of course they go into an instrument panel splice pack so technically you can lose both at once or just one or the other.

I've never looked at one of those multifunction switches and hope I never have to.

You said you replaced only part of it? Didn't know that was possible but when there's a will there's a way.

I would check that switch very carefully. If it's used you may have gotten a dud.

Also, pull the back of the instrument panel junction block off to access the backside of fuse panel, trace that brown wire, and see where it goes dead.

Just be careful with your multimeter probe as a lot of the connections back there are always hot so you don't want to be shorting stuff.

Shayt it's late.
For the inexplicable love of Saturns......

Last edited by derf; 03-15-2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Ummmmmmm

Hello?