Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Odd fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 05:35 PM
Default Odd fuel problem

I have a 2000 saturn sl1 1.9L SOHC and for the last 3 days it has a real hard start issue I know it's fuel related. Past history replaced fuel filter/regulator, new fuel pump and sock, it will not prime with the key being rotated to the on position and off, I have to try and start it which it stumbles but won't start, than it will prime when turned to accessory and start and run great. Once I try and start the car and prime using the pump on the on position I hear a click in the rear and the tone of the pump deepens and thats how I know fuel is being circulated. Once the car has been started I don't have a problem unless the car has been sitting for about two hours, then I have to repeat this process it's annoying any ideas?

Old 09-17-2021, 08:40 AM

Sounds like more of a bad ground connection to me than anything else I can think of. BUT keep in mind that I'm NOT a mechanic and have never worked as one.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Go to AutoZone or similar and do a loan a tool for a fuel pressure sensor. There should be a Schrader port near where the fuel enters the fuel rail. Measure the pressure with key on engine off and key on engine cranking. Once vehicle starts, note the fuel pressure at idle.

These measurements will save you a ton of time in diagnosing this. If for no other reason to rule certain things out.

I have my suspicions but need the pressure measurements to confirm or rule out my suspicion
Does this car have a return fuel line back to the tank from the far end of the fuel rail or is it a returnless system?

How many miles on the current fuel pump and is the service engine soon light on? If so, please get the codes read at AutoZone or similar and post as Pxxxx.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Go to AutoZone or similar and do a loan a tool for a fuel pressure sensor. There should be a Schrader port near where the fuel enters the fuel rail. Measure the pressure with key on engine off and key on engine cranking. Once vehicle starts, note the fuel pressure at idle.

These measurements will save you a ton of time in diagnosing this. If for no other reason to rule certain things out.

I have my suspicions but need the pressure measurements to confirm or rule out my suspicion
Does this car have a return fuel line back to the tank from the far end of the fuel rail or is it a returnless system?

How many miles on the current fuel pump and is the service engine soon light on? If so, please get the codes read at AutoZone or similar and post as Pxxxx.
current fuel pump maybe 4000 miles on it it does return to the tank and I'm looking for my pressure tester I have one just not sure where it's walked off too

Old 09-26-2021, 07:48 AM

Check pressure, then electrical