Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Replacing Evaporator core on Whitey...............

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024 | 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Where in the hell did you find a windshield for that vehicle?
You said no so I'm assuming it is literally new....

Old 07-17-2024 | 03:41 AM
|

Local junkyard, had to remove it!

Old 07-28-2024 | 04:09 PM

What tools are needed for the windshield removal? And how did you transport it?
I don’t need one but have always been curious about it

Old 07-28-2024 | 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I've always heard piano wire

Old 07-29-2024 | 07:59 AM

That sounds like a garrote, derf. a wire, cord, or apparatus used to strangle someone. I should start carrying one with me. It's silent! LOL

Old 07-29-2024 | 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Rube,
Please refrain from using words associated with violence, like the k word, the m word, etc. We don't need to be eavesdrapped on as a Saturn terr gripe, although if you think about it, any significant group of people devoted to these ancient vehicles probably warrant surveillance.

Am I serious? Not sure. I need some activities for comparison today to determine exactly how paranoid I am at the moment.

Need to do a triple drain and fill on the escape this week. Transmission and torque converter on that thing are a time boom. Just looked it up on KBB. $3,000. Thinking it's time to drop collision. 10 years old, seems about right. Though if someone hits we'll get 6,000 which is the going price for 160K on a 2014 SE 2.0. I'm the one that used to back one of my saturn coupes into the other in the driveway.

Only scraped a little paint on the bumper, but it was my badge of honor to not know where my cars were in my own driveway. Never more than half a mile an hour actually, but you really don't want me to drive anything expensive cuz you never know what will happen.

And lest we forget shattering out the rear glass on the 97 coupe backing into my own freaking mailbox. That is hands down the stupidest thing I've ever done behind the wheel. There's a certain spot where you can't see it anymore backing up the hill. You think it is to the right of the vehicle but it's actually above the rear window where you cannot see. Two other people have a backed into it in almost exactly the same matter. However no broken glass resulted.

I think I could be a bit more off topic if I tried but I have things to do no people to see, and no real ambition today. I find that works out really well as a mental outlook, because then anything I get done is a bonus and I feel good about myself for 10 minutes.

Love to all
Derf

Old 07-30-2024 | 07:57 AM

Why do a triple drain, derf? I think a quadruple would be better. Or do I?

Old 08-15-2024 | 09:33 PM

Holy Smokes what a job! I have a 98 SC2 I have had since it was new. The AC stopped working 2 years ago. I took it to a local auto repair the guy who runs it is a good friend and he tested it said it is the Evap condenser. I ask can you fix it? He said sure but it will cost you more than your car is worth! Well after 320K on the engine the clutch started to go and then the timing chain jumped some cogs. I am going to pull the engine and the tranny out. I have another engine with only 150K that runs great ...I drove the beater it came out of. Now my thoughts are since the engine bay is open there could possibly be a way of getting access to the Evaporator from the back side of the firewall. Maybe creatively with cutoff wheel and post fabrication. Any thoughts on that?

Old 08-16-2024 | 07:58 AM

I'd say experiment the beater that the lower mileage engine came out of. I'd sure as hell give it try rather than go through what Dude did. Yeah, I'm just that old and lazy.

Old 08-16-2024 | 12:17 PM
Smile

lol yeah I got the old part down too ...79 and counting and with that said my crawling under dash boards days have long since sailed! That's a good idea about practicing on the beater I have been salvaging what I can off of it and storing it for future needs.

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Replacing Evaporator core on Whitey...............