Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Replacing Evaporator core on Whitey...............

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024 | 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I think I'm next in line to take the plunge on that. Luckily Dude lives not too far from me and I hope and pray for his guidance during the nightmare that is this repair.

Last edited by derf; 08-18-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2024 | 01:20 PM
Smile

Here is the 98 that is getting the motor from the 97. It has been a very good car, fun to drive, always garage kept and of course repaired or replaced needed parts along its 320K journey.

Her name is Goldie too!

Last edited by Radtek2; 08-16-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2024 | 03:45 PM
|

I thought cutting a access hole thru firewall would be cool............unfortunately the Evap is in the HVAC module. Sorry I see no other option other than R/R HVAC module.
With that said I pressure tested original Evap AFTER removal it was NOT bad.
Apparently leaked at Orings between the TXV and the Evap.
I had a FALSE leak indication from the vent air hitting my Buddies leak detector!!
After he replaced an Evap he also pressure tested old Evap .......No leak.
Google search said proper way to use leak detector was to turn off blower and sniff the condensate drain, since the gas is heavier it will flow out the drain, checking at the dash is no good!
Very painful lesson for me.

Old 08-18-2024 | 03:46 PM
|

Very cool Radtec!!

Old 08-18-2024 | 03:49 PM
|

Blue4, Saw wire will get it out, I laid it in the back of red!! On a tire!!

Old 08-19-2024 | 06:59 PM
Default AC alternet

Dude, My second option perhaps? I was thinking I may have to go this route. I have to figure out where to mount it if I do. One though was it may fit in the glove box area by removing the inside glovebox structure and fitting it in the empty space ...I need to go out and do some measurements but what I am seeing in my mind would be to keep glovebox door in place and when AC is needed open it up or mount it under the glovebox as I rarely if ever have a passenger anymore......well went out and did some some quick rough measurements and installing in it in glove box won't work but I think i can get it under the glovebox although it limits leg space but the seat does go back quite bit and if the wife dares to ride with me she is only 5'1 lol

Old 08-19-2024 | 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

We put a similar under dash unit behind the seat in our shop truck. On the passenger side pointing straight up. I move the seat ahead one notch on really hot days to get a little more air flow. Works great even on 100+ degree days.

Old 08-19-2024 | 09:59 PM

I'm really thinking this is the way to go under the dash on passenger side. I found an even smaller AC unit that's 10.5 long 8.5 wide and 4.5 tall but it cost 3 times as much! I found some pictures the last time I pulled a dash to get at the heater ac unit was in 2002 in a 1989 VW Fox. I said then that the last time I do that! I was 57! It's not that I can't get under the dash I just can't see anything that close to my nose anymore! I have to put magnifiers in my welding hood and a led light on the hood and it still a struggle lol.

Old 08-20-2024 | 09:10 AM
|

Rad..........may be a solution
You could charge system and do the proper sniff test at AC condensate drain THEN be sure to sniff at the TXV. That would be an easy fix

Old 08-20-2024 | 01:36 PM

Hey Dude, Now that I have decided to not carve up the firewall to access the Evap. I will more then likely do that once I get the engine swap done, new clutch in. I have in the years past collected new AC parts to have on hand to repair as needed. (compressor, condenser, dryer, thermal switch, expansion valve, assorted AC O rings and a Evap. I do have the vac pump, and manifold setup and do testing on friends and relative cars. I will ask Joe who did the testing how he did the sniff test and if he used the drain. You are correct and I hope it is the expansion valve and thus an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Replacing Evaporator core on Whitey...............