Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

SL2 1996 no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:25 PM

I would like to know if there is a safety device preventing the engine to start if there is no oil pressure.

Oil light came on ,pulled over, stoped engine, checked oil, added oil, restarted fine, oil light came back on, drove a bit ,not even a mile then it died.

Brought the car to my garage to find out that the oil filter was missing!

Will go get a filter tomorrow, meanwhile I wonder if there is serious damage to the engine

Thanks

Old 09-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

It SHOULD be your head.

Oil light means dangerously low oil level or dangerously low oil pressure. Oil light coming back on = PULL the f#*% OVER and SHUT OFF ASAP.

NEVER drive an engine with the oil light on.

The "not even a mile" is probably the last you'll have driven it, since it is almost certain that the car stopped b/c the engine seized. If it didn't seize, you've likely damaged the engine internals due to lack of oil -- don't expect this engine to last much longer.

Derf

Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 AM

It's too bad engineers don't put a safety device on the car to prevent drivers from operating a car without any oil pressure. My Ford 150 conversion van had a switch located under the passenger side dash that would shut off the electricity to the fuel pump if it sensed a sudden jar as in an accident to prevent the driver from restarting the van without first inspecting for a gas leak before resetting the switch. My Force outboard motor has a heat sensitive electrical plug that will melt and cause the electricity to the motor to stop in case the temperature goes too high and prevents heat damage to the motor. My son heard a pinging noise coming from underneath my Plymouth Voyager and I asked him what did he do and he said that he turned up the radio. Shortly after doing that the last of the three bolts that were connecting the torque converter to the flex plate let go and the van stopped. Sometimes stuff happens and you learn from it.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:45 PM

yeah it sucks, but you learn from it. I'm sure everyone in this forum has learned something the hard way in their life

Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM

The worst case is you could have damaged your internal bearings, might have had some rod damage, and possibly some pretty worn rings. Maybe you shut the car off in time. This means that your car MIGHT still be driveable, but like Derf stated, i would not expect this engine to live too much longer. Sorry about your mistake.