Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Timing chain noise and alternator whine

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 01:55 PM
Default Timing chain noise and alternator whine

Couple things going on now that may be the end of the line for this car.

I've noticed some occasional noise for that past 6 months that sounds like a timing chain hitting the inside of the case.
Over the last couple weeks there's no question as it has gotten loud to the point it sounds like it's going to self destruct when I first start it.
As the engine warms up it calms down a little but at idle it's as loud as ever.
Does the timing chain tensioner on this car use oil pressure to help or just a spring?
My oil pump might be wearing out too.

Then a few days ago I started to hear a loud whine that keeps time with engine speed. Sometimes it's the loudest noise the car is making, sometimes not.
Sounds like an alternator does when it's charging at high current but really loud.
Having the day off I was able to start the car this morning in the daylight and try to find the source of the sound. It does sound like it's coming from the alternator.
I had previously noticed that if I was driving at night and accelerating and pushing it to redline the lights would go out at around 5500 to 6000 rpms.
I haven't been pushing it like that since Derf suggested I "slow the ____ down" so I don't know if it still does that but I wonder if that was the alternator starting to go and now it's got serious problems.
It does still charge ok and seems to be working normally but that sound isn't good.
Has anyone had a serpentine belt tensioner go bad and sound like that?

Lately when it's cold and I start it for the first time it even sounds like a rod is knocking! Goes away by the time I get out of the driveway.

Combine all this with the fact that it won't hardly idle in gear anymore and will stall every time I try to go in reverse. Makes for some comical parking lot antics.

I've been driving this thing for 3 years/50K miles with one dead cylinder and another with only 60psi compression.
I feel like I've been blessed to be able to drive it this long but I'm afraid it won't last much longer, especially with the timing chain making so much racket.
This is an interference engine right?

How much of a pain is it to change the timing chain and tensioner?
Is the oil pump built into the timing cover?

Old 11-25-2022, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

I usually Don't drive my 2.5 cylinder Saturn sedan at 5500 RPM. Just because. If it sounds like your timing chain rattling under the timing chain cover, chances are your timing chain is rattling under the timing chain cover. I'm not sure it's worth the time nor expense to attempt to address it as the days are numbered. If the sound you hear is a low pitch hum that follows RPM, kind of like a moaning, that's probably the alternator. If you check your battery voltage while it's running, you'll probably find something like 13.7 because one of the diodes has gone bad. You can get it load tested to confirm.

The best thing that can happen to you is to have the vehicle stolen. You won't get much insurance money, but when added to the money you save by not having to pay to get it towed to a junkyard when the chain lets loose and the valves get crunched, it's all worth it in the end. Just drive up to Newark in New Jersey, drive downtown at night, leave it running with the keys in it and walk away.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:26 PM

It's a little frustrating since the body's in decent shape, no rust at all and the suspensions still doing good.
Even the transmission's not bad, acts wonky but always works to get me where I'm going.
If I grabbed another engine and alternator I could fix most of the problems in one shot.
Only problem is the S series cars are getting scarce at the local junk yards now.
Most that show up are single cam cars whereas mine is DOHC so no help there.

Last edited by jamnar; 11-27-2022 at 07:39 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-27-2022, 03:22 AM

I'm confused, is this a SOHC or a DOHC, I may have a cost effective solution............good running DOHC engine or engine/tranny combo deal? Let me know if interested.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:38 AM

It's the 2000 SW2 in my signature.
DOHC.
PM me details so we can discuss.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:30 PM

Update:
The past couple weeks has been crazy to say the least.
One of my boys showed up with his family in his 36' RV a couple weeks before Christmas.
Great to see them all since we hadn't seen them since they left for Washington state a couple years ago.
I had to move the Saturn out of the way and it just wouldn't start (too cold) so I had to push it out to the side yard out of the way.
I'm so glad these cars are light! I pulled the battery out and put it on a charger for later.
They left today so I was moving vehicles back in place and after I put the battery back in the car started right up.
Still sounds terrible at idle but driving it back to it's usual parking spot it sounded just fine (except for the miss and the alternator whine of course).
I'm tempted to start driving it again but I know that's a bad idea.
Over the holidays I've been able to think about things and I'm definitely going to put an engine in it. Maybe an alternator too, I think one of the diodes is shot but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
Dude - I'll be getting back to you shortly. I just have to figure out a timeline for these things to happen.
Work is going to be all out crazy trying to catch back up after the holidays and I won't have much time for much of anything for a while.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

If you lose a diode, you'll see the charging voltage will not be 14-4, more like 13.7. in general.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:31 AM

No worries, am still recovering from MC crash...............life's been good to me so far!