Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

trans slip in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

After driving my vehicle in real heavy traffic stop and go mainly. My saturn gets hot of course but when the traffic is clear and I drive off its really sluggish. Then when I get home amd park when I put it into reverse it slams hard with a loud clang. I first thought it was slipping because of low transmission fluid but thats perfect color and level. I also thought it was me not making a complete stop but it still does it even fully stopped it pauses then clunk. If I put it in drive it doesnt do it just seeing if anybody has the same issue.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Millions have had this issue. Search any Saturn forum for "Reverse Slam". Try removing the transmission end cover and tightening the shaft nut to spec. If you are very lucky, this will cure the problem for a while.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Thanks that helped but I discussed with lots of owners that had the same problem and they constanily go through transmissions{autos mainly) If I were to switch to manual do they have the same trans issues Ive heard that also changing the filter and using better fluid might help to or should I just saving for a new in case or do you know if manuals are better. Sorry If I bug.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Tightening the nut and/or replacing the valve body should cure the problem. There should be no reason to replace the transmission. Thats like replacing the engine because you need a new starter.

But if you do want to swap in a manual, I have directions on my website.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 AM

Hope this isn''t OT... after having the flexplate replaced a month or so ago, I''ve noticed that a lot of the tranny''s shifts were harsh, particularly the reverse "clang" as described above. As above, ATF level always fine.

Tonight it just stopped going into reverse! It''s like an extra ''neutral'' position, with maybe a little reverse slippage! Forward gears seem unaffected. Until now this trans has been great.

What has happened? What to do?

TIA for any insights.

J.R.
2001 SC2 88Kmi

Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 AM

Whay was the flexplate replaced?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Flexplate was trashed, i.e. center was spun & separated from the outer edge that is bolted to the torque converter. One of the ''parts'' guys mentioned that they don''t sell that many flexplates these days, but that they ''used to'' sell lots of them.

That would suggest to me that Saturn had</span> a problem, knew they had a problem, and they quietly ''fixed'' it... typical GM ''secret warranty'', most likely, for those vehicles still in warranty range when their flexplates became noticed as ''defective''. For anyone who was out-of-warranty, or didn''t make a big deal about it... tough luck!

Now the trans is ''skipping'' 2nd gear, and most shifts are harsh.

The owners manual specifies a special Saturn p/n ATF, but the trans shop operators I talked with say that one can just use Dexron ATF, plus a (black bottle) additive to create a fluid for Saturn (&amp; other Japanese) trannies that require a "highly friction-modified " ATF. Any insights here? Is the 6 qts of regular Dexron-compatible ATF(no additives installed) the mechanic put in possibly responsible for the weird reverse &amp; other transmission anomalies, or should I be looking for electronic ''gremlins'' as well as the loose nut previously mentioned?

TIA

J.R.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by J.R.
Flexplate was trashed, i.e. center was spun & separated from the outer edge that is bolted to the torque converter. One of the ''''''''parts'''''''' guys mentioned that they don''''''''t sell that many flexplates these days, but that they ''''''''used to'''''''' sell lots of them.
15 years of owning 21 Satunrs, and being on many on-line forums throughout those years, I''''ve never heard of that. I dont even see how its possible unless the flexplate was under water for an extended period of time. Theres eight to ten two inch long welds attaching the outer ring to the flat disc section.

Originally Posted by J.R.
The owners manual specifies a special Saturn p/n ATF, but the trans shop operators I talked with say that one can just use Dexron ATF, plus a (black bottle) additive to create a fluid for Saturn (& other Japanese) trannies that require a "highly friction-modified " ATF. Any insights here? Is the 6 qts of regular Dexron-compatible ATF(no additives installed) the mechanic put in possibly responsible for the weird reverse & other transmission anomalies, or should I be looking for electronic ''''''''gremlins'''''''' as well as the loose nut previously mentioned?TIAJ.R.
Reqular ATF that you buy at the autoparts store is fine. I never have needed additives or bought it from the dealer. Your problem is most likely with the valvebody.Edited by: Low Saturn