Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

transmission installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:20 AM

hi everyone, i just bought a friends 97 sohc sl1 because it had no compression in cylinder 2 and i swaped a new motor in and everything seems to be fine except for one small issue: as soon as you put it in gear the car dies.

this is my first time working with an automatic transmission so i need some help. i drained the torque converter of all fluid when i removed the old transmission and just now found out that i might have had to somewhat prefill it before reinstallation. i figured that the pump would bring the fluid in imediately but i guess not. is there anyway to get fluid into the tq converter without pulling the motor again?

also does anyone know the trans oil capacity from completely empty?

the car is throwing a code so as of now thats my first thing to check, but i thought maybe someone could throw out another idea for me to think about. i saw some stuff about a selenoid that commonly goes bad but the trans seemed to be working fine before everything was removed.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Automatic Trans. have a timing sequence you have to follow, buy looking at the book you have to mark the torque converter with the flywheel. It maybe that your timing is off. -=This is my guess=-