Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Unseen coolant leak 1998 SW2

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Default Unseen coolant leak 1998 SW2

Hi-
I have a 1998 sw2 100,100 mi and it is just starting to use a lot of coolant. About a half gallon or so every few days. Sometimes it will go weeks without having to refill. I have had the car for 5 years without problems. The engine runs fine and there is no smoke. The oil looks fine. The car usually starts fine except for a few occasions. It just passed NYS inspection. The car has never overheated.

I do not see any leaks at all (level driveway) but I think the exhaust may smell a bit like coolant but i'm not really sure.

Can a mechanic check for head gasket leaks? If it is the head gasket, is that an expensive job? Im assuming the worse
Thanks
Ken

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

KenSat --

Is your engine running hotter when in traffic lately ?? Could be a bad head gasket, a cracked head, or even a failed engine casting (although after 10 years, I doubt the casting is bad).

A mechanic can check for a head gasket leak, and I'd have it done as soon as you can get an appointment. Costs are going to be dependant onwhat is wrong ...............

Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 PM

Hi-
Thanks for the reply. The engine temps are always normal. The engine runs great and no white smoke. I will make an appointment asap. Im kind of broke right now so is there something that can be done as a temporary fix in case it is a leaking gasket? I remember a product called bars leaks or something. There is also a GM ginger root tablet that is added for leak protection.
Thanks
Ken

Last edited by kensat; 11-26-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned

KenSat --

Yes, I've heard and seen the products you mentioned. I've never used them, so I can't speak from that point, but I have always been suspicious of them -- I mean, that can/bottle doesn't have little critters in there that can see the difference between a broken head gasket, and a passageway in a cooling radiator -- so how does it know ??

Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 PM

I see your point. Thank you.
I have an update. Today I stood by the tail pipe after taking a trip and I did not see any vapor or smell anything. However I now see coolant in the engine compartment on the drivers side near the air cleaner. I let the engine warm up and run and I can not see anything leaking. There is coolant splashed all over the place. I estimate about a half pint puddled here and there. It looks like something dumped coolant then stopped There is a small amount on the bottom of the air cleaner box but it looked like it splashed up through the bottom holes in the box. The pipe leading from the box to the engine is dry.

I also checked the expansion tank and I do not see bubbles but the coolant is gently swirling inside. Auugggg. I have no idea what is going on
Ken

Last edited by kensat; 11-26-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

A failure in the water pump can cause serious engine damage over time

If the failure occurs in the pump seal, coolant will leak from the engine front cover area.

Water pumps are equipped with weep, or vent holes. It is possible to check the water pump weep hole using a flashlight. If a failure occurs in the pump seal, coolant will leak from the hole. Use the flashlight to find the weep hole on the water pump and check for leaks. (NOTE- The vent hole on the four-cylinder engine water pump is located on the top of the pump body.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:48 PM

OceanArcher
I should have said the leak is on the drivers side!
I checked the water pump but everything is dry over there. On the drivers side, there is coolent on the fender side of the radiator and splashed one the frame and components below.

The crazy thing is it looks like a big leak that suddenly stopped. I cant even see any dripping with a warm engine running. The hoses are all dry. Im guessing there is a hole in the radiator?
The only other thing I can think of is water may hit the fan when its on and spray all over.

Last edited by kensat; 11-26-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 AM

There have been some reports of the radiator, as it has plastic tanks on it cracking and leaking. A logical problem. The illocgical part is that the water is under pressure once the engine warms up so it is hard to imagine something like this being intermittent. If it is on the drivers side it makes sense that it might be the radiator because (from memory) nothing watery is on the drivers side I think.
From the cheap repairs standpoint hope that it is the radiator, all thing considered that they are not that hard to change and a radiator is generally between 100 to 200 dollars to buy one.
Everything else is as expensive as it can be.
I have used Bars Leak. If you have a head gasket problem or a cracked plastic piece it is an excersize in futility, but in low teck applications such as a cracked block or head in a water passage area you can get away with a lot for a long time. It is at best a temporary repair when it does work but will buy time.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 AM

Thanks for the help. You guys were right. I found a bulge and crack oh the top rear part of the radiator tank on the drivers side. I could see coolant weeping when the motor was running. Looks like Ill have to put in a new radiator. I guess there is no practical way to repair a plastic radiator crack. Its a shame these parts are made so cheaply. Oh well.
Thanks for the help!
Ken

Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Banned

Glad you found your problem, and as for the plastic radiator - hey, remember, these plastic parts were made to be replaceable - keeping weight and costs(?) down .... right

Quick Reply: Unseen coolant leak 1998 SW2