Loud inside when starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM

You may have to just chisel it in four pieces, Thumper. Personally, I'd heat that sum beach up with a torch after chiseling it and then take the chisel to it again. Pry it open and off you go. You can always touch up a wheel with a little paint, if that's a big deal to you. I'm at the stage in my life that I don't give a crap how my car looks as long as it's in tip top mechanical shape. Have you checked the lugs on the other 3 wheels? If they don't budge with a tire tool, I'd go ahead and start soaking them with Kroil. Best dang rust remover I've ever run across. You're eventually going to have to get the other 3 wheels off for brake work anyway.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:47 PM

Working on exactly that:drilling and chiseling. I have four new lug nuts on it already, and five new on the other wheels.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
You may have to just chisel it in four pieces, Thumper. Personally, I'd heat that sum beach up with a torch after chiseling it and then take the chisel to it again. Pry it open and off you go. You can always touch up a wheel with a little paint, if that's a big deal to you. I'm at the stage in my life that I don't give a crap how my car looks as long as it's in tip top mechanical shape. Have you checked the lugs on the other 3 wheels? If they don't budge with a tire tool, I'd go ahead and start soaking them with Kroil. Best dang rust remover I've ever run across. You're eventually going to have to get the other 3 wheels off for brake work anyway.

Got it off. Bigger hammer and longer chisel. Then I went back to the loud noise at startup. I had my wife start it while I watched under the hood. The radiator shook back and forth when the engine fired up and that was the noise. The radiator mounts are good. The top engine mount is new, the trans mount below the engine is goid. Where is the third mount?

Old 02-06-2021, 05:28 AM
Default 08 Vue crunching noise 1st few mins driving

Also, I pinpointed the fluttering noise at startup - radiator flutters back and forth when engine starts. New top motor mount, good center transmission mount, good radiator mounts. Where is other transmission mount? O8 3.5 AWD

Old 02-06-2021, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Moved last post to here. Much easier to keep track of issues if we keep them in one thread.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked to see if the radiator support that goes into the frame is not misaligned or cracked? I would start where the motion is actually occurring on this one. It may have no lateral movement by hand but it may be getting thrown upwards enough that it is no longer resting in the mount hole, waving around, and then reseating itself. Just be gentle it is likely all dry-rotted plastic at this point and if it has been a shaken around that much, it is probably even more brittle.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 AM

Is there any way you can post a video of the radiator while it's moving?

Old 02-06-2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Have you checked to see if the radiator support that goes into the frame is not misaligned or cracked? I would start where the motion is actually occurring on this one. It may have no lateral movement by hand but it may be getting thrown upwards enough that it is no longer resting in the mount hole, waving around, and then reseating itself. Just be gentle it is likely all dry-rotted plastic at this point and if it has been a shaken around that much, it is probably even more brittle.

sounds like a plan when the rain is gone and it warms up a little

Old 02-06-2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Is there any way you can post a video of the radiator while it's moving?
I suppose so

Old 02-09-2021, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by derf

I can move the radiator up and down by hand from the bottom. The bottom radiator mounts are worn out. Thanks, Derf!

Quick Reply: Loud inside when starting